Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Men have feelings too. No, not just the hippies...

I drive by a sign for Mantherapy.org almost everyday on my way into work.  It makes me laugh and/or smile every time I see it or think about it.  I also went to the website as I was typing this and the site is hysterical.  It also makes me think of Flight of the Conchords song "Hurt Feelings" every time as well.  Ah, the simple things in life.

It also makes me think of stories of reading about grown, tough men that have ran marathons and wept like babies at the end.  I feel I'll be doing enough 20 mile runs that I'll cry by myself a handful of times that I'll only have tiny tears of awesomeness leaking from my eyes.  I have been reading a lot about running and training and just love going on a run.  I have been running for 5 months and have not missed a run yet.  I actually am so excited about what I did at GTIS and what I've been doing that after a month of LIFE running or my long-term running, 4-5-4-11, I plan on ramping up to an advanced runners schedule of 5 days a week starting late September and multiple 20 mile runs before the 3 of us (I refuse to use the term 3some involving 3 men, especially of the same bloodline, but may have different thoughts if it were a Sandberg, Gaga and Timberlake sort of thing, It's a SNL thing) run Myrtle Beach and the vaunted 26.2.  I am excited but I am curbing that excitement and seeing how my body handles 24 miles a week regularly and if I can improve my diet in that timeframe.

I really need to think about some of the times I say I am rewarding myself.  I will grab a cinnamon roll or donuts once a week and not feel bad but when it's a couple times and I mix fast food in, that's not helping even if my weight my stay the same.  I'd like to tone up and part of that is eating more super foods and fruits  Unfortunately my favorite fruits of blackberries and raspberries are no longer summer cheap but I enjoy a banana (I can't type that without snickering) every day.

Chia has helped regulate my body. It is a great seed to eat and I plan to add to that food.

I've been running along OLD Buckley road.  It can not have been opened for at least 15-20 years.  I see beer bottles and other old car parts that look that age and older.  It is along the eastern side of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal trail that goes all the way around the exterior of the arsenal.  The first time I ran it, my bodywash smelled like Ammonia!  Weird.  Who knows excatly what was dumped and happened in that area.  Anyway, my goal is to use my 11 mile run and run to 56th Avenue and back and say I've ran the Eastern and Northern boundaries of the Arsenal.  Of course, these are the two shortest sides but my ultimate goal will be to run around the entire thing.  I believe this is just over 20 miles and while it's not the most beautiful run, it's a great run during the middle of the day, especially since you can see downtown and the mountain ranges for a long part of it. 

Last, I have running fever like the Jamaican's had bobsledding fever in Cool Runnings.  I am thinking what is next already and all I've done is a half.  The full is still 1/2 a year away but I am stoked.  Instead of cheating our pact, I've decided ramping up mileage is more what I am interested in since I want to be fully prepared for the marathon.  Here's to staying healthy and accomplishing that goal before I dive too deep into the next running goals that may come about.  Like everyone says, including world class marathoners, you hit the wall from 17-20 and it's now a battle between body and mind and having them work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment