Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Running Scared (and Stupid???)...

So a week and a half ago I went to the Western Slope over to Cedaredge to help my in-laws with work on the property my in-laws own.  I drove way too fast getting out there, stupid move #1, but it was early and traffic was minor so I figured why not hit 110 mph?!  I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is, Jenny!

Anyway, got there and I didn't need to rush over since we were waiting to get going when I got there.  Then we spent a lot of time standing around but did some tree stacking and what not on the property that was good.  I got paid way too much for it but that's okay, it was nice of my mother.  Anyway, we cleaned up and after chit chatting a little while with my wife's Aunt, we went and visited my father-in-laws best friend and his family.  It was good for my brother-in-law and mother-in-law to share that time with them.  I wish my wife and other brother-in-law could have been there with us.  Unfortunately after 4 hours of sleep and the day, I was nodding off and on.  On my mind was the run at hand the next day.  I knew I wouldn't be asleep until around 1 and I was getting up at 4:40 to run 13 miles plus miles.  I woke up and it was pitch black.  The area I was running at was isolated, very quiet and notorious for bobcats, mountain lion and coyote activity.  There was no light along the route and I knew the sun was 45 minutes from providing any light on the run.  I had a phone that had 25% battery life (camper we were in didn't have electricity due to circuit breaker issue).  Against better thoughts and thinking, I wouldn't have seen or heard any imminent attack until it was too late, I went out just after 5:00.  I needed my run and it was a perfect training run for the Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon.  It was 1200 feet of elevation drop and had a nice uphill to challenge in a short spot of it and it was just less than 13 miles from where I was headed.  My brother-in-law agreed to pick me up around 7.  So...

I set off.  I could see the road ahead of me with my phones flashlight and I just ran.  I ran fast.  I knew it but I was going downhill at a good slope and I was nervous.  I knew I was ill prepared to run in the dark with no sidewalk and lighting but I did not even think about cars.  I knew I may see some cars, but it was early Sunday and it is a hard working area where people were probably going to finally get to sleep in or not be active until past 6.  Well, I did see a car about 2 miles in and it was pitch black but I didn't have to call anyone, the guy just kept going.  Other than that, I saw shades of cows and started seeing light 45 minutes into my run.  Finally.  My battery was less than 8% and I knew I needed to keep it to call my brother-in-law.  I ran with the light amount of light which was enough to now see the road fully and what was ahead.  I felt some relief knowing town was just over the hill and down the road a mile or so.  By the time I got to mile marker 6, I knew I needed to take a quick bathroom break and saw that I had ran an average of around 9:20/mi.  WAY TOO FAST.  I was on a time restraint though (or so I thought) and needed to be done by 7ish and wanted to get it done.  I went into the gas station and there was an old guy drinking coffee and reading the paper at a counter with an attendant.  I left 5 or less minutes later and this lady was counting stacks of money.  I was like, wow!!!  What if?!  I wished them a good day and took off.  There was a ton of light but it still hadn't peaked over the other side of the hills yet.  I had a much more gradual downhill for the next 3.5 miles.  The temperature was great.  I felt great.  I spent the rest of the run just enjoying the run downhill.  By the time I got to the last 1/2 mile the sun was fully out and I ran an extra mile waiting for my brother-in-law.  My legs felt great and my pace would have been a solid time for a half marathon.  I was excited but was it stupid?  Maybe.  Nothing happened, but something could have and I need to think about my safety and my families concerns if I am going to run at crazy times and with it dark out.

Well, I am missing this past week's runs but I'll get to that another time.  Not much to report.  Pretty much I have started tapering down for the 1/2  marathon.  My Yasso runs have been consistently in the 4:00 range.  And I feel much faster and better than when I ran my first two races in May.  This should be a fun week and a half.  I am looking forward to it.  I'll give some updates before the race.  Until then, happy running.

No comments:

Post a Comment