Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

17 Again??? Or is it 16 again?...

I check my weight at least twice a day.  I always did when I was in HS and whenever I had a scale readily available, around when I started coaching wrestling a number of years ago.  Even when I was over 200 and over 210 I did.

Today I weighed 163 when I got up.  The last time I weighed that was probably a month after wrestling season my junior year in March 1998 when I was 16, approaching 17.  14.5 years!!!  I don't want to get much below 160 for my marathon (estimating 155), but I didn't expect to be under 165 until October.  It brought up a lot of memories of losing weight when I was in HS.  I was fortunate compared to most wrestlers, I had more of a fat supply to burn so I would cut pounds not trying.  I started football junior year at 180, by the time the end of the season hit I was weighing 165.  My football coaches were furious saying that I committed to football, why had I started cutting weight for another sport.  Thinking back, maybe that's why they benched me for a game when I missed a pointless 5-minute meeting and had never missed anything in 3 years.  Hmmm.  The truth is, I didn't cut the weight, I just lost it.  My body gets a big kick start when I decide to add a fair amount of excercise to it.  So it comes of little surprise to me that I continue to shed pounds, though I keep eating regularly and enjoy some of the finer things in life like a cinnamon roll once a week. 

Well, I ran yesterday and also read about a marathon man that was more like a marathon fraud man.  It was a great read about a man in his mid-40s that had made up races, shortcut races and what not to try to run sub-3:00 marathons in each state for a fictitous cause for his son with Cystic Fibrosis.  Here is the story from the New Yorker (Kip Litton-Marathon Fraud???).

As for my run, it went great.  I ran 4 miles with all sub 9:00 splits, averaging 8:43/mi.  The weather is beginning to cool, but at 75 degrees and the sun beating down on me, I still was sweating up a lake at the end of my run.  I think I have got used to this warm weather and running.  Curious to see how my body adjusts as the chill of fall continues to creep in.  And with fall comes football, another great reason to get excited for the upcoming months!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment