Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Yassos kick my ass-os...

After a difficult Thanksgiving week of running (2-4.5 mile runs and a 20 with a missed 4 miler and 8 miler), I knew I had to get back on track this week.  Heck, it's only 78 days until I run the Myrtle Beach Marathon.  Of course I am ahead of most rookies training for their first, but I can't rest on that fact.  So, this week has been a good week figuratively getting back on the track by having 3 of my 4 runs done with the last scheduled for lunch and I also literally did get back on the track for my Yasso 800s yesterday.

This was a difficult run.  I fortunately got out of work early so I could enjoy my run in the sun and the warm weather we've been experiencing.  I drove to the local middle school track which is a gravel surfaced track so it's like running on some of the so-called "trails" near my house.  I could tell the first mile warm-up that it would be a mental battle the entire way.  My pace has gone to 3:40 for my Yassos from the 4:15 it first started as and the self imposed 4:00 I had it become right before I did my Half clear back in August.  4 or 5 Yasso's are not tough.  8!!! Holy Crap.  I got done with the each of the first 3 and each time was thinking, maybe I should just do 6 of them and cut my run down to 6 miles instead of 8.  From 4-7 I told myself that I could get to 7 but I was done there.  I didn't have to do an 8th, I was already tired and had pushed it and didn't need it.  As I jogged a 1/4 way through that cool down, I said, dude, it's one more, get it done!  I ran it in similar fashion as my other ones, a strong first 150 meters where I was like, no problem, but then 650 meters where I am telling myself dude you are slow, you won't even finish this lap in under 2 minutes.  I proved myself wrong and fought through the doubt and excuses.  After finishing, I have thought a lot about it and decided, I really need experiences like this and they will make for a better marathon because I will fight through plenty of doubting when I hit the wall.  An easy 16 miler this weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment