Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Sick, freezing and still running

Thursday night I layed out all my gear to go for an early morning 11 miler and test my marathon pace and how my knee could hold up after it finally feeling better.  Unfortunately, at about 8:30 I started feeling like crap.  That night was awful, couldn't get warm enough and couldn't sleep.  I got maybe an hour total of solid sleep before heading to the couch and getting 2.5 hours the rest of the night.  Friday was brutal and I did what I could at work before leaving early.  It worked out well because it was Andi's birthday and it allowed her, Sophie and I to enjoy the night with her mom.  We went to the mall, the 3 ladies got their princess bears while I felt like shit.  We then went to dinner.  I hadn't really ate much all day and ate up my breakfast dinner from Village Inn.  After dropping my mother-in-law off and getting Sophie home, I was exhausted and feeling awful again.  I took Nyquil so I slept better but I had the same issues of freezing even though I was pretty warm already.

We then woke up Saturday morning with the Aquarium in mind (as well as the Broncos and Packers... sigh.  Andi decided to have her birthday dinner there.  I had never been and it sounded like a good idea.  With the weather being so poor, the majority of my fellow Broncos fans weren't going to be tailgating 3 hours early so our 11 a.m. arrival was great.  The Aquarium is a nice little getaway.  The restaraunt felt like eating at somewhere in Florida, like Sea World/Discovery Cove.  The food was really good and then the exhibits were pretty impressive.  I found the tiger to be the most impressive part, but the whole thing was pretty impressive.  I got home and went for a 7 miler.  It was cold, it was not fun and I was still fighting a cold.  I tried to run it fast, but doubt I did.  The Broncos and Packers games must have made me more sick because I felt even worse that night.  Luckily I sweat off the worse part of it Saturday night.

I woke up Sunday morning soaked in sweat and not feeling as poorly as the last couple mornings.  I still definitely felt a little something and the idea of running 16 miles did not sound fun but after getting ready, I gutted out 16 miles in 3-7 degree weather.  I was coughing up loogies, blowing snot rockets and felt low in energy due to not having much of an appetite the last few days.  But I did it, I kept going though I probably looked like a... grandpa (I scratch that beacuseI have seen and looked at results of many grandfather aged men that can run faster than me at their slow pace and me at my Yasso pace)... dumb ass for being sick and it being cold.

Less knee pain than I've had.  Still feel it in my foot and think I am just going to have to hope it gets numb during the race.  I feel better today but still a little out of it.  This is my last big week, before tapering beings, Week 5!  Myrtle Beach, please be kind and don't rain and let me run in ideal conditions.  The last few weeks, minus a few days here and there have been cold to run in or brutal like this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment