Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston Marathon Tragedy...

I am still stunned by this event.  The Boston Marathon is the most important and talked about marathon in America.  You HAVE to qualify or be a Bostonian in order to even run it.  It is a dream that anyone that has ran a marathon probably dreams of doing at some point in their life.  It is also eye opening watching that video over and over of what happened.

Yesterday's events hit home hard knowing my mom and my in-laws (brother's family) were at the finish line of Myrtle Beach just two months ago today.  My brother's son and daughter are around the ages of the two children that were waiting for their father, the8-year old son that lost his life and the 6-year old daughter that lost her leg in the blast, and I think what if that was my brother's family?!  I think of my cousins, Aunt D and Grandma Brock that have been at that same Boston finish line to congratulate my Uncle Tim on completing Boston.  I think of all the people's blogs I read that have ran or have trained to run Boston or even ran yesterday.  Last and most importantly, I think about my family.  I want Sophie, Andi and all my in-laws to be at my next marathon and with the fortune of improving my running, be at Boston's finish line when I one day with God's fortune qualify for Boston.  However, I know some runners and their families will think twice about that next marathon for fears of a similar event happening. 

In a year I have come to realize marathon runners are a different breed.  They'll run on ice, in a foot of snow, in single digit and minus degree weather.  They are a little off their rocker going through things in training that 99.9% of the population would never even consider doing.  However, they are also a family I have seen.  Someone you don't know you wave at while training, you cheer on while running a race and yesterday showed similar great things.  Runners donated blood after depleting their energy from running a marathon, they helped fellow runners grieve with a hug, they helped out at a medical tent, they grew together.  I feel extremely sad for the people that went to Boston to celebrate as runners, friends, family and spectators to celebrate such an amazing accomplishment and instead lost a loved one, have a loved one/are themselves fighting for their life or were injured and will have to remember this as another sad day in lines with the tragedies we have seen across America in the past year and have been dealing with at a larger scaled in the last 15 years.  God Bless the men and women that helped others and prayers and thoughts to everyone trying to find questions and peace in this tragedy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment