Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Fasting is a key to getting healthy again and to lose weight fast...

After talking with my Uncle, he mentioned a PBS documentary about fasting.  After losing 50 lbs and experimenting with my diet based off what I have seen work best as a wrestler and in the past, I was intrigued.  So I watched it online and the documentart is called Eat, Fast and Live Longer with Michael Mosley (Link here).  In the documentary, Dr. Mosley goes over multiple ways to fast/restrict diet to get to a healthier life:
  • The CRON diet (Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition)-Pretty much you eat 3/4 of the meals the average person your age and sex does and it is high quality foods such as fruits and veggies.  Low in fats and Proteins.
  • The prolonged fasting diet where you go typically 2-4 days without consuming anything but water, no calorie teas and liquids (not diet soda).
  • The Alternate Day Fasting (ADF)-Eat 400 to 600 calories based off age/sex and then eat as many calories you'd like the following day with any sort of foods you would like.  It is also referred to as the fast/feast diet. 
  • The last was a hybrid of the ADF diet: Eat 5 days of the food you like and then fast/restrict your diet.
The biggest thing I will say about all of these is they are all effective, but I agree with his research, the most effective ones were eating well for most of the week (4-5 days) and fasting the other (2-3) days.  I can tell you for the most part, you eat foods better for your body on those feast days.  I can also tell you, your body can run sharp on those fasting days because you have storage in your body of fat and other things that will get you through the day.  It is mental.  It is also medical and while it is not the most researched, I can tell you some facts he found and that I agree with.  Fasting over the years has helped speed up the repair genes in your body that fix all the bad things you put in it in the past and what you've done.   I hadn't had a blood test for years but I was a healthy human being again when I went in after my marathon and my year of dieting with a much better chance of living.  My LDL/bad cholesterol is a little high, I have no doubt it would have been 200 instead of 110.

So if you are struggling with yo-yo dieting and all these BS cutting carbs out or cutting this out, really look into trying this.

Last note: One other big observations I agree with, protein is not something that is needed in the amount Americans consume it.  I ate hardly any protein while training for my race other than turkey, chicken and fish when I went out for dinners, your body only needs some protein for muscle strengthening/rehabbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment