Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Running or jogging, does it matter?

I have heard the term jogging a couple times of late during my "runs" and read a post about being called a jogger and it got me thinking, what is the difference between the two?

I had a guy say during my long run in Hawaii, "Great jog man!"  I kind of chewed on that for the next few miles and when I went by him again I avoided eye contact and increased my speed.  So, yes a run being called a jog or hearing the term jogger kind of got to me and it mattered.  I think it is something many "runners" deem to be the wrong term for what they do.

Runners don't jog.  They have different paces depending on what intensity their run is for that day.  I have read people's accounts on what the difference between jogging and running is.  To me, there wasn't much until I deemed to be crap, running is 8 mph or fast.  I have seen this in a couple places, but they may reference the same source.  I am too lazy to check that out.  To me speed doesn't have anything to do with it.  I am sorry, but a person doesn't jog a marathon in under 4 hours.  I believe speed doesn't have anything to do with it but the heart rate of what you are doing, along with your history of speed.  Not everyone starting running can run 7:30/mile like the 8 mph can say.  That is a Yasso 800 for me.  I can tell you I am running at that point and it is tough and I can't sustain that for more than a mile without exhausting myself.  Based off the times I see, only about the Top 5% of a marathon field can even call what they are doing to be running if you follow the 8 mph rule.  That is just crazy talk.  I could jog 26.2 miles and not cramp and take 5 hours to do it.

To me jogging is equivalent to a super fast walk but instead of shuffling your feet you are actually picking them up.  Jogging is running at slow motion with the Chariots of Fire music blaring in your musical memory bank.  So I will put what a jog is to me:
  • 75% of a person's marathon pace or 80% of half marathon.  I run my slow runs a minute to two minutes slower than my marathon pace depending on how far into training I am and the mileage I have on my legs.  They are comfortable but not easy.  If I slowed down another full minute, then I'd call it jogging because it would be as easy as walking.
  • There you go, if it feels as easy as a walk the same distance it is running slow motion. Kind of like a fast walk to me. 
  • Heart rate.  Jogging's heart rate is calm and much like when walking.  A long run is increased above that.
  • Jogging is being able to hold a full conversation without much discomfort.  I have conversations the few times I have ran with someone else and it's brief, tough to do and sentence structure is similar to that of a caveman.
  • Running requires effort and is not fun, jogging is fun, it is goofy.
  • Jogging can be done in one of those polyester full suits you see people at the store wear in their 70s.  If I run in that, I get heat exhaustion in anything above 30 degrees.
That's the long winded simple way for me to put it.  We are runners, not joggers.  Show us runners some respect you casual observers.

1 comment: