Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Jalapeno!!! Sick Dog!!! Ahhhhh...

Today will be my first non-running related entry.  Well, I'll mention it but it won't be the focus.

So yesterday, Tuesday, I had a crazy day.  I got into work early to wrap up some things and so I could take care of a couple errands after work.  I was hoping to get home, grab Sophie from pre-school and get some food and exchange the propane tank.  Unfortunately, I got out of work 30 minutes late, my errand took forever to get to (don't let a company fix your pits in your window without the fear of it looking a little worse) and then I got home.  Oh shit!!!  But we'll save that for last.

I was late getting home with the groceries and got Sophie about 20 minutes later than planned (see that part of story below).  Part of what I bought was 4 Fresh Jalapenos (they are super cheap at King Soopers and super high in Vitamin C).  I can handle the hotness of Jalapenos.  They have a kick but aren't that impressive.  Wrong!!!  While Andi was getting Sophie bathed and ready for bed, I started preparing dinner which was primarily chicken but included the stuffed cream cheese jalapenos and rice with some veggies.  As I was cutting the jalapenos I was cutting out the seeds.  I see why they say to where rubber/surgical gloves when cutting hot peppers.  My thumb was burning a little bit on the knuckle.  Joy!  I washed, then re-washed, then re-washed after eating a pretzel that was the spiciest pretzel I've had due to the jalapeno oils still on my fingers.  It did no good.  Even the dog sensed it on the treat I gave him after.  Well, I fully knew I had long-term jalapeno oils on my hand because I went pee and started feeling that itchy, burning sensation.  LOL.  It was where the hand held the fella and wow!!!

Well, that subsided and then after getting Sophie to bed, I started cooking dinner.  It was a quick cook with all the earlier prep.  Then I started eating.  I was mixing chicken and stuffed jalapeno bites after eating the rice and veggies and after 3 jalapenos, I was completely fine and had drank about 20 oz. of water.  Then I took a bite of the 4th one.  Funky butt lovin!  Yes, I just said funky butt lovin'.  My mouth, my lips and other areas of my face were on fire.  My gut was feeling pain.  I ran to the kitchen and started trying to consume water, ice and sports drinks.  It took at least 10 minutes to feel comfortable again.  I was full from the water but not food.  I also saw only 3 small jalapeno bites and said, I had to finish it.  You idiot!!!  I ate it and went right back into my old pattern but now was in much worse shape.  It took over 20 minutes to feel somewhat better and not have my mouth burning.  It was some ice cream that provided the relief.  I should have drank milk to help, but I am so anti-milk that I was too stubborn to do so.  Thank goodness we had some old ice cream sitting there.  I went to the restroom expecting to puke.  My gut hurt and I was full of water.  I had the shakes from consuming too much water and from the hot food.  Something that has happened two other times when I ate the hottest wing sauces I ever ate and consumed 100 oz of water in less than 30 minutes.  I was hoping I would not puke.  That meant fire coming back out.  I fortunately just peed and felt much better.

I went to shower and saw I gained 4 lbs. from before the meal.  I consumed no more than a 1/2 lb in food so I drank over 3.5 lbs of water.  Wow.  I showered and yep, still jalapeno sauce.  Had same thing happen after washing ummm down there.  I went to bed and that felt better but I spent 30+ minutes up and trying to get comfortable because my thumb was on fire like I had burned it on the stove badly.  So air warning, jalapenos come in different temp ranges and the 3rd one isn't always the charm!!!

So, back to the time earlier that made me get home late.  Fair warning, it is poop related regarding my dog, so skip this paragraph if that isn't something you want to read...

Our beloved 9-yr old family dog, Barclay the Beagle, had not had an accident in the house inprobably 6 years (other than puking).  That night roughly 6 years ago I went to go pee in a zombie state and almost fell on my butt slipping in Barclay's, ummm, yeah.  He was sick.  I didn't reprimand him at all.  Same instance but daylight and instead of zombie, I was more a crackhead state with all these things wandering in my mind of how I was going to get the dog out, grab Sophie, get groceries and the prop, ahhh, what the ?!?%@!?  A squishy, warm feeling was soaking through my sock.  I had taken two steps after the squish to fully recognize, oh shiiiuuut the front door.  I wish I could have and left, but instead I spent 30 minutes trying to clean up like nothing had happened.  Sure enough I did.  It was not fun, but it had to be done.  He had got some bug from my mother-in-law's dog who got it from another dog during travel.  I once again let it slide.  Barclay doesn't have accidents while we are at work and is a great dog.  I believe he's feeling better now.  I hope it stays that way.

Back to running:
I got my mid-week MTY run.  It's the 2 miles at marathon, 1 mile at temp, 1/2 mile at long pace and 1/2 mile at Yasso pace.   I've touched base on this before, but ultimately the 4 of those together should have me finish in 38:07.  Toady I ran every pace faster by about 20-40 seconds each and finished in under 36 minutes.  I wasn't trying to run it faster but felt like I was putting in the same efforts I did when I started running MTY around 4 weeks ago.  I feel my paces increasing with the same effort I was putting in 4 weeks ago.   A huge reason is weight.  The other reason is I am starting to really get comfortable running.  4 miles seemed like what that distance is, a hour and change walk.  Now it's less than 40 minutes and feels routine.  Looking forward to one more 4 miler and now 13 miles Saturday or Sunday!!!  Excited.  Happy running.

No comments:

Post a Comment