Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Aurora Batman premiere shooting...

Most of this blog will be about the subject above, but I've slacked on writing a new post and will first give a quick update on that.  I pretty much have had an uneventful last week running wise.  I ran 13 Saturday and have got my 3 runs in this week, including my first interval training which included 5 Yasso's.  Interval training and running at that rate definitely uses different muscle fibers.  My legs were a little sore on my run yesterday because of it.  I am running 13 Sunday morning in Cedaredge/Delta and it will kind of emulate the Georgetown to Idaho Springs with a big elevation drop of over 1000 ft.  I look forward to it.

Now, in regards to the subject at hand.  I used to coach wrestling just up the road 5-10 minutes at Hinkley.  Many of the wrestlers I coached, managers that were part of our close knit group and teachers and other students I know or saw in the hallways frequent that theatre.  I immediately thought about them and hoped and prayed they were not there.  From all reports I've got from the couple of people I've heard back from, everyone is fine that I know and that they know.  One of the wrestlers was at the theatre when it happened.  He is one of the fastest and strongest people I know, so I am sure he sprung into action and took off.  I pray that he is able to cope with what he saw.  With the loss of two very important people in my life in the past 15 months, I have come to realize you don't always get to say your good byes and show and tell people how much they mean to you and make your life better.  That group of young adults were my family and friends.  I love and care for them greatly.  (A different kind of love than my own family, but they are great people and many will contribute big things to our society instead of just wasting their futures).  I have seen too many similar tragedies in my life.  They all have little recollection of events like September 11 and Columbine other than what they have seen or read.  I was a senior when Columbine happened.  I had been through their hallways every season during wrestling and this made me think of that.  It made me think how big of a deal that was made and has been made since.  I worry this event will not get the due respect for the tragedy it is.  No matter what you are doing, where you are, you just never know what could happen from negligence of a company that caused a death, to a driver texting (saw a couple of them yesterday and was like, REALLY?!!!) and killing a family to an act like this.  I myself don't focus on that but I am reminded that it's possible, so I'll say I am thankful that all the people I know and worked with at Hinkley are  okay (as of now).  I am thankful to wake up every day because it could be gone later that day potentially.  I am thankful of my family and the friends I have or have made.

We need to look at things and not say, well it's in Aurora, so are you surprised?  Yes, I am.  Everyone should be.  Crazies live all over.  This guy lived in Aurora instead of the beauty of Littleton and white suburbia of Columbine.  It is equally tragic with more lives lost.  Who knows how to prevent these things?  No one.  So try not to piss people off, try to say hi to someone that looks down (but won't attack you) and be thankful that you are alive and able to tell people you love them and embrace them rather than having to remember how much you were loved after they are gone and not being able to feel that embrace again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad no one you know hot hurt. The world was shocked and is still mourning this tragedy, you folks in Aurora are not alone.

    ReplyDelete