Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

I Must Run...


I was listen/watching Iron Man races from the past and a link came up on the side that simply said, I am a Marathon Runner.  I am injured.  Before you click on the link, I have to say it made me crack up.  There are a ton of these little videos.  This one in particular reminded me of the routine my Uncle and I have discussed in regards to preparing for a race or long run.  It holds a lot of truths for many runners I am sure.  The injured part reminded me of my Aunt.  She ran the GTIS Half with a bad knee and another not 100%.  She did not have this laundry list of injuries but based off her experience, the experience I've read about other injuries from people running, they throw caution to the wind as well because they are a Runner, they must run.

This is supposedly the conversation a runner has had with his wife before.  Not surprised.  I am sure marathon runners and their spouses that don't run are not always on the same wavelength.  I know I struggle with that myself.
I am a Marathon Runner. I Must Run. I am Injured.

This one is after he gets back from his run.  There is a routine there for runners as well where we use the bathroom, eat, stretch, etc.  We are then reminded hey selfish bastards, you have a family and friends and you need to be somewhere so we must hurry.

I am a Marathon Runner. I must hurry.

That all said, my left knee has been slightly sore here and there.  It goes away but comes at times.  It felt great before my 1/2 marathon but a couple days after, it's back to very minimal discomfort, but I am a runner, I must run.  I am sure it will get better, because I am a runner, I must run.  :)

Anyway, a very relaxing week of running.  I almost snuck in an extra run but with so many things to do on Saturday, I am glad I waited to get my longer run (11 miles) on Sunday morning and not do a 4 ahead of time.  My legs felt good.  I played it smart keeping my pace between 9:35 and 10:15 throughout my run.  You don't realize how much ground you can cover on your feet until you start running.  I ran what is the first 1/3 of our drive from the in-laws house to our house yesterday to a big open space pond.  I remember when I used to think that was a decent distance.  4.5 miles, really, a long distance?!  4 miles runs used to be excruciating but now they are energizing and just a prelude to a longer weekend.  Hoping my knee pain stays minimal.  Hoping my Aunt's knee improves dramatically and quickly or the doctor has some magical fixer.  I may have to take the baton from her for the opening leg of the ADT marathon relay my Aunt and Uncle are doing with my cousins.  I would love to be a part of it, but only if my Aunt just can't run it and is going to cause more issues to her knee.  But she is a runner, she must run.  So we will see. 

The week before Labor Day weekend.  Pretty exciting weekend ahead.  Going to go watch CU play CSU for their annual showdown at Invesco.  Then family BBQ and some work around the in-laws house to help with the improvements there.  Then Labor Day will be ADT Relay, if I fill in for my Aunt, family time and my fantasy football draft.  Yes, we do a last minute draft, but you get to see who the starters will be come the following week.  An example of this is the QB situation in Seattle.

Anyway, I am a big Buffs fan and will leave my crap talking for another time when both programs warrant it.  It is sad to see the game at Invesco and the fan support atrocious.  CU at least filled about 80-85% of their seats last year and they get 55% of the stadiums seats.  CSU only had about 16,000 of their 35,000 seats filled last season. It was pathetic.  This is the first start of the football season without my father-in-law.  I know going to games will not be the same, as they were difficult to do the couple games last season.  Either way, I am sure his seat is better than any of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment