Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Running with a vengeance (5 days to GTIS)...

The last month I have really began letting my body judge what it can do and not let my mind tell me what it can do.  My speed has increased because of it.  I can also tell I am not pushing it.  My goal went from running 9:30/miles for the marathon and a 2:05 overall to 8:45/miles and 1:55 overall.  I believe there are a few factors that have made me get to this point, listed below:
  • Weight-Lifting aroudn 40 lbs off my shoulders has been huge.  Carrying my daughter and the stuff we pack to grandma's house every weekend is what I was doing when I first started this journey 5 months ago.  I remember when I ran 4 miles the first time after running/light jogging only 3 miles the first 3 and a half weeks of training and thinking, wow, this extra mile is a lot. 
  • Distance-Expert writing there.  See how the segway above led into this.  Slowly building up to running 14 miles a couple weeks ago and running long runs of 11 miles or more 4 weeks in a row have helped my shorter runs increase in speeds.  My longer runs have increased in speed by about 30-45 seconds per mile.  Not pushing it harder.  I just have got more comfortable running.
  • Running-Again a nice segway.  I had never ran more than 3-5 miles and that was maybe a total of a dozen times in my life.  In over 10 years I had not ran more than 2 miles without stopping and walking.  My body has found it's comfort level.
  • Pacing-My breathing and how my body feels really help me determine how hard I am pushing it.  I ran 6 miles for my week's long run this week since I did my tapering.  Felt better than when I ran 10 miles the first time on my birthday.  Two months ago, I felt great, but nothing like today.
I am excited.  I am ready.  As long as I stay upright, I feel very confident I will beat 2 hours and hopefully exceed my goal of 1:55.

As for other happenings other than running or involving it...

Last Saturday, the 28th of July, I ran 11.  I got out late and it was one of the hotter long runs I did but I used my phone's Nike GPS to let me run free and it was a great run and I could tell I was ready for my half.  One thing that is great of having something to keep your distance is you don't have to map out your run ahead of time.  It has me thinking of getting a GPS watch instead of having to put my phone in my running belt. 

Friday, the 3rd, I was headed into work a little later and went my Santiago's breakfast burrito route of my old Colorado Blvd way instead of going down much more relaxed and scenic Monaco.  I was glad I did.  I spotted some guy pushing his own car while steering it under I-270.  I was glad it was later since that area is usually congested until 8:30 which it was at the time.  Guess it cleared out early today.  I stopped on the very small shoulder that that area has and ran back to help the guy.  Guy simply ran out of gas.  I had been there over a month ago when the family was trying to get to our pictures and pushed it too far and was less than a 1/4 gallon from our destination.  We were lucky to be on E-470 and get their awesome assistance.  (Really was, not being a smart arss like normal).  Anyway, I took him to a gas station just a little over a mile from where we were.  He kept talking about paying it forward and how he wish he could repay me and it sounded like he had already had a tough morning at unemployment.  Just knowing I could help the guy out a little was reward enough.  I've had plenty of down days where a pick me up or some assistance was all I needed.  Hoping times get better for him.

This weekend, Andi and I went to the Rockies game.  We went to Lodo's with her work ahead of time.  It was fun.  Made me realize that grabbing a couple beers on a rooftop should be done more often as long as you don't have to sit next to some early 20s a-holes, which we fortunately weren't.  I got to do some Century Link True or False trivia after the 5th inning.  I never thought I'd get the chance to do something at a game or win anything and while the prize was lame ($25 to concessions or retail), I was able to get Sophie a little stuffed animal for free.  I am tired of the Rockies but I see why they draw well.  It is a comfortable ball park and people go there for pre-night time downtown fun and warm up their socializing skills.  It was fun, I got to talk about my love for Tim Tebow and spend some time with my wife and her co-workers and had plenty of laughs and happy times.  Oh and I saw some guy named Sean Begay from Mines with his wife from there.  Him and I had talked many times at Mines but I guess 10 years and 40-55 lbs (I was as heavy as 225 at Mines) will make a person not recall who you were.  We talked a couple minutes and I got to meet their cute baby.  Just a fun side note.

One of my best friends from HS, Nate, had his bachelor party this weekend.  I just couldn't find time to make it to any of the bash and felt shitty not being able to do so, but that's the crappy part of life, you always are missign out on something but as was the case this weekend, I truly got to enjoy what I was doing.  Him and I can go months without a hello and missing what'st going on in our lives and know that we still care about each other and have plenty to talk about when we do catch up.  People are busy and have their lives, we know that.  Planning on a lunch meet-up before Andi and I attend him and his soon-to-be bride Jennifer's wedding in September.  Hope his other friends made it a great weekend for him.



No comments:

Post a Comment