Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A plethora of things, Running and New Year's Resolutions...

So, first things first, I had a post up for about a week talking about zombies and other things that were inappropriate for a blog, I apologize for the people who looked poorly upon it since I don't always look at all angles and realize it may have been wrong on more than one account.  It was and thus it's deleted.

I must say that I had a great weekend with my family at the Colorado Railroad Museum, a good afternoon of exchanging and returning Christmas items at Flatirons and a couple good runs, all the family watching the Packers (in-laws team) win and some relaxation . Okay the museum wasn't great since it was a little chilly, the train ride was on a galloping goose, which is a modified car, and the horrific story of the guy that started the Galloping Geese fleet did not help my thoughts on the place. I was also hoping a real chain and not a modified car.  Sophie likes trains and it was cool to see some of the things there like how they removed snow but Andi and I decided it was another CO monument we could at least cross off the list of things we've seen, plus it was a free day, so I don't feel too bad about trying it over going to like the history museum.  Maybe it will be better on a warm free day and taking time to read more and venture around more?! 

I have to say, the last few weeks have been tough.  The cold of Colorado (other than the last few days and my run Sunday) does not make running as fun.  I don't mind 4 miles, but 20 miles in cold sucks when you are running alone.  It's also been a drain having such a long build up to this event.  I think I was ready in November and the lull kind of hurt my competitiveness, along with the cold and my knee/foot pain.  My run Sunday and two solid runs this week have really changed.

I have noticed more people walking when it's warm and think this is due to New Year resolution time for half of them.  First, good for them.  I believe New Year's resolutions are tough.  It's cold, there are so many people clogging the fitness places and so often those resolutions are an oh well, it's just because I had to make a resolution.  I am glad my LIFE change happened in March and there was a goal in sight.  I believe a goal should be in sight for everyone and it should be attainable.  I knew I could run a marathon about a month after I started.  I believe this is the case for everything.  If you can get through the first month and honestly say you did things to be successful, the results will be there and you'll want more of it.  I lost 12ish lbs in the first month and got in great shape because I did not skip a run, I ate better and I didn't overconsume like I had so often in my 12 years of sedentary life.  So, I will say to those that may read this, keep going.  Even if you had a bad start or haven't been perfect and followed the plan, re-boot and know you can accomplish what you set out to do if you just give the effort.

Main principles I have followed to be successful:
-Eat well: Calories in have to be less than calories out to lose or maintain weight
-Drink lots of water to help curb appetite
-Start working out in some way (I chose running, you can choose crossfit, yoga, etc) at least 40 minutes a week 4 days a week
-Be positive and don't let yourself skip more than 2 days in a row, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment